Bodhrans are known for their earthy and warm tones. MEINL offers two different versions, a Celtic model featuring a cross bar and an Irish model that comes with an extra deep frame and a dampening layer on the head. The Irish Bodhran features an extra deep shell for a rich, full sound, and an extra dampening layer on the rim to reduce overtones. The traditional cross brace has been removed to enable direct hand pressure on the head for contemporary pitch-bending techniques. MEINL hand selected goat heads deliver warm tones with a well-balanced sustain. These instruments have a beautifully finished, extra deep Rubber Wood resonating rim that allows for low end and pitch to develop and project, creating a very musical sound.
- Extra deep hardwood shell: this bodhran measures 14″ x 6″ and is made with an extra deep hardwood shell in order to produce a rich, full sound; sounds great when played with or without a tipper
- Dampening ring: this Irish bodhran comes equipped with a dampening ring around the rim, creating a more rounded out tone and minimizing overtones
- Cross bar removed: this particular model has removed the traditional cross bar to allow room for your hands to apply direct pressure to the head and perform contemporary pitch-bending techniques
- Goat skin head: the high quality goat skin head on this produces a warm and bold sound with a short attack, providing a desirable sound for traditional Celtic folk music
- Add cultural sounds: the unique timbre of the bodhran drum is designed for traditional Celtic styles but it may be used in contemporary music to add unexpected flavors